Finetech’s bonders address the unique challenges associated with Chip on Glass (CoG) bonding. Chip-On-Glass (COG) is a flip chip bonding technology for direct connection assembly of bare integrated circuits (ICs) on glass substrate by using Anisotropic Conductive Film (ACF). The pitch of the IC bumps (footprint) can be scaled down according to customer requirements (contact pitch of glass substrate). This technology reduces the assembly area to the highest possible packing density, important to applications where space saving is crucial. It allows a cost-effective mounting of driver chips because integrating flex PCB is no longer required. The IC is bonded directly onto the glass substrate and is suitable for handling high-speed or high-frequency signals.
COG is primarily used for source driver ICs within TFT display technologies where they are used for LCD, plasma, e-ink, OLED or 3D technologies. This is essential for consumer electronic products such as notebooks, tablets, cameras or mobile phones with the need for small size and light-weight components.
What are the challenges?
- Sensitive, bare chips with long and extra thin dimensions and high packaging density
- Requires specialized tooling, fixtures and optics shifting for wide range of chip and substrate sizes
- Miniaturization of chip footprint (for example pitch of 60 µm (line/gap=25/35[µm]) requires high degree of parallelism and alignment accuracy
- ACF demands for application of controlled bond-force (for example up to 300 N/cm² needed for specific foils)
- Flexible solutions for chips, substrates and ACF with different visibility (reflections, transparency)
The Finetech Solution
I. Stable Substrate Handling
II. Adapted Tooling & Optics
- Gimbal or non-gimbal tooling according to chip dimensions
- Quick tool switchover, flexible use for different applications
- Contact heating tools available if substrate heating is limited
- Optics shifting allows visual alignment over the complete chip length
III. Flexible Process Technologies
Anisotropic Conductive Film
ACF module supports application of various ACF materials with flexible force and time parameters
Other adhesives possible (ACP, NCA)
Adhesive dispensing is supported
Alternative process technologies
Ultrasonic and thermocompression bonding technologies can be integrated
FINEPLACER® Bonding Systems
Due to the modular design approach, FINEPLACER® bonding systems can be configured for virtually any application challenge.
The main distinguishing features between the machines are the
- degree of automation
- optical resolution and
- placement accuracy
Browse our product range or get in contact with your sales contact to figure out the best equipment solution for your requirements.