The Finetech Solution
Contactless Solder Removal on BGA and PCB
Manual residual solder removal is not a reproducible process and holds the risk of damaging nearby components as well as solder resist or PCB tracks which could result in a defective board or BGA. Therefore, Finetech offers solutions for contactless solder removal in a single sweep which allow a safe, careful and - most important- reproducible dressing even of very small sites on heavily populated boards.
After starting a reflow process, molten solder is easily removed from the board with powerful vacuum. The new generation of solder removal tools allow contactless residual solder removal without disturbing any pads or solder resist. Adjacent components and the PCB will be protected reliably from damage.
BGA Reballing Module
The "BGA Reballing Module" is a convenient, fast and easy-to-use solution to reball array components.
A brief description of the BGA reballing process:
- Put the BGA onto the support plate and activate vacuum of the frame holder to fix the component in place
- Align the component to the contactless solder removal nozzle
- Apply flux to the BGA pads
- Contactless solder and flux removal
- Clamp the reballing template onto the frame holder and align the template holes to the BGA pads, using the FINEPLACER® Vision Alignment System
- Put fresh solder balls onto the reballing template with an ESD brush until every hole is filled with a solder ball
- Clamp the BGA frame holder into the positioning table, align to the soldering nozzle and start the software-controlled reballing process
- After cooling, remove the reballing template and check all connections using the "Process Video Module"
Each FINEPLACER® rework system can be easily retrofitted with a BGA Reballing Module.
Integrated Process Management (IPM)
The Integrated Process Management (IPM) is the center piece of a FINEPLACER® system1 - the place where it all comes together. IPM is more than just thermal management. It synchronizes the control of all process modules and their related parameters:
- Controlled and precisely balanced interaction of top and bottom (pre-)heating and cooling
- Control of temperature, time, force, power, energy, flow
- Process-integrated camera and light control
- Controlled process gas integration for reduced solder contamination, minimized surface tension effects and smooth spherical solder residues
IPM is very complex, yet easy to access. Via the GUI of the operating software, the user has perfect control of all required adjustments. Just drag 'n drop to define temperature ramps or activate process modules. All settings are represented in only one profile, making for a very intuitive work flow.
The operating software provides an ever-growing library of profiles for all kinds of processes. It also offers comprehensive data logging functions essential for statistical process control.
In combination with the system-to-system process transfer capability this is as easy as process development can get.
1 FINEPLACER® core offers co-ordinated top and bottom heating but does not support IPM
Recommended Rework Systems
Amongst other factors, the recommended system mainly depends on size and pitch of your component and the required process flexiblity.
Browse our product range or get in contact with your sales contact to figure out the best equipment solution for your needs.